Sunday, March 2, 2008

Calcium and your Health

Did not write much about Health issues lately. So today, I must put up a posting on it. An inspiration came about when I drank my HL milk recently.
From the side of the packet, there was this label telling us how much calcium we need per day.
So what exactly is Calcium and how can it help us with better health? Let me share...

(Extracted and Summarised from

1) Simple facts about Calcium
a) The average adult’s weight is made up of about two per cent calcium.
b) 99% of calcium is found in bones and teeth with the remaining 1% in the soft tissues and watery parts of the body where calcium helps to regulate normal processes of the body
c) Calcium deficiency may lead to disorders like osteoporosis (a disease of both men and women in which bones become fragile and brittle later in life).

2) Role of Calcium
a) Strengthening bones and teeth
b) Regulating muscle functioning, such as contraction and relaxation
c) Regulating heart functioning
d) Blood clotting
e) Transmission of nervous system messages

3) Good sources of calcium
a) Milk and milk products – milk, yoghurt, cheese and buttermilk. Calcium fortified milks can provide larger amounts of calcium in a smaller volume of milk
b) Leafy green vegetables – broccoli, collards, bok choy, Chinese cabbage and spinach.
c) Soy and tofu – tofu and calcium fortified soy drinks.
d) Fish – sardines and salmon (with bones).
e) Nuts and seeds – brazil nuts, almonds and sesame seed paste (tahini).
f) Calcium fortified foods – including breakfast cereals, fruit juices and bread:

4) Factors that can reduce calcium in our bones
a) High salt diet
b) More than six drinks per day of caffeine-containing drinks – Eg, coffee, cola and tea
c) Excessive alcohol intake
d) Very low body weight
e) Very high intakes of fibre (more than 50g per day, from wheat bran)
f) Low levels of physical activity
g) Low levels of vitamin D – this may be an issue for people who are housebound or for women who cover their bodies completely when they are outside, as they do not get enough sunlight on their skin.

Okay. Till here and hope you have a better idea of what Calcium is about from this short posting...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's best to increase your calcium intake when you're young.Milk,fresh milk is a valuable source.After some vigorous jogging,which I picked up again during my mid-forties,I suffered pain in the knee joints.The specialist diagnosed as normal wear and tear me and I have been on Glucosamine Sulphate ever since.

Brisk walking is now my only form of exercise.I also started drinking milk daily.Had I paid more attention to my lack of calcium in my youth,I might have continued running for longer.

On the contrary,my daughter who has been drinking milk daily and continuously into her teens,have big,strong bones.