Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Review of 2008


Review of my 5 2008 Resolutions as per my 1st Jan 08 post

1) To achieve stablised income of $3,000/mth or $36,000/yr

* Due to my switch of career, my average income in 2008 is probably only around $1,000/month at the moment
2) To pass CFA Level 1 examination
* I did not pass my CFA in Jun08 and I have no time to retake Dec08 exam
3) IPPT Silver in 2008
* I got my IPPT Silver in August 08
4) Gain weight from 58kg to 62kg thru weights training
* I did nothing at all to make me a stronger person till December
* I think I gain more fats than muscles
5) Toastmasters Competent Communicator
* I drop out from Toastmasters after leaving NTUC Income and I did not join any club

What I feel about 2008?
Health
* No major illnesses except for occasional back pains. I did not exercise much in 2008 and I can feel my energy level dropping.

Career
* I made a career switch in Jun08 to join a Financial Advisory Firm. I lost my clients and commissions overnight and start earning from zero. A lot of time are spent learning and unlearning.
* No regrets in getting out from the tied agency system but a bit of miscalculation by joining a firm whose remumeration system gives better benefits to top advisers and managers. I have no intention to be a manager yet. Perhaps in 2010.

Money
* It took me nearly 4 years to start earning a stable income of $2k/mth and now I started with $0 again. Thats the problem in our profession. We give up our salary when we leave for new firm.
* I'm currently on negative cashflow position. I have been through this stage before and I'm confident to be back in the black within 1 year. Things will only get better.

Lifestyle
* Still okay. Not much time for friends nowadays except for occasional wedding dinners and house warmings
* Cannot work like my unmarried or unattached colleagues. My time are divided equally between work and family now.

Family
* My wife gives me a lot of support. She understand my philosophy in Financial Planning and believe that I will do well one day. I love her and I will not fail her.
* Kids? I have a probia for one. Don't ask me why? Maybe because I worry about insufficient time and money.

I shall write about my Resolutions tomorrow...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't give up. It is a great price to pay for these changes. i know you will be rewarded.

Anonymous said...

keep your chin up, you are doing ok.
you are too kind for this business, your thoughts are good and may you be rewarded.
i am actually looking forward to your posting everyday, so please keep it up.
wishing you health and happiness for 2009.

Anonymous said...

Hey Adrian

I am sure 2009 will be even better.

Happy and healthy new year to you and your family.

Cheers
Paddy

Khiat Han Hwee Adrian said...

Thanks for your encouragement. 2009 will indeed be a challenging year for me.

I'll do my best. Hope you guys do your best too...

Anonymous said...

Ambition in life,alas,must be viewed without shame;for it is better to avoid lack rather than to gain more.

Just be passionate and sincere in what you do,and the money will follow.

"This above all:to thine own self be true." Shakespeare.